NIPAH VIRAL INFECTION IN KOZHIKODE- A Sakalya Ayurveda Update
Nipah virus (NiV) epidemic is reported from the sub high range regions of Perambra and Kuttiyadi in Kozhikode district. The virus belonging to the Henipah Virus family finds a natural host in fruit bats of Pteropus genus. Chronology of the Virus: NiV was first identified during an outbreak of the epidemic in Kampung Sungai Nipah, Malaysia in 1998, hence the name. Pigs were the hosts during this attack. In the next recorded attack in Bangladesh in the year 2004 the spread was through contaminated date palm sap. Here the hosts were fruit bats. Direct human to human spread is also recorded. The means is through contact of body fluids. Signs and Symptoms: NiV humans and domestic animals like pigs. NiV infection in humans has a wide range of clinical presentations, from asymptomatic infection to acute respiratory syndrome and fatal encephalitis.
The primary treatment for human cases is intensive supportive care. Dr Sameer Gupta, Senior Interventional Cardiologist has given 5 point information about NIPAH Viral Infection.
His points as reported by NDTV are:
1. The fatality has been reported at anywhere between 75 per cent and 100 per cent.
2. Nipah virus affects the brain. An infected person will have fever, weakness and lethargy.
3. Nipah virus infection is an example of a zoonotic disease, where animal diseases can be transmitted to people. In a zoonotic disease, the chances of a human being getting the disease will be lesser if the animal is given adequate antibiotics.
4. There have been cases of human-to-human transmission too. However, it is still being studied whether the transmission happened because everyone was exposed to the same infected person or if the same source passed on the infection to another person.
5. The Nipah virus has a tendency to adapt or mutate, like the H1N1 virus. If you get a swine flu or influenza vaccination this year, the effect of the vaccination may not be last through to the next year because the virus would have mutated by then. And that is why such viruses are very deadly. Some of the deadliest diseases in the world are viral-borne diseases.
SAKALYA AYURVEDA HEALTH TIPS TO PREVENT NIPAH VIRUS INFECTION
• Never eat fruits bitten by bats, birds or any other fruit eaters.
• Examine the fruits and vegetables properly before use for any minute bite mark.
• Wash the fruits and vegetables in warm saline and marinate in a mixture of turmeric and tulasi for one hour.
• Consult an Ayurveda doctor and get your prescriptions for immunity boosting.
• Vilwadi Kashayam, Vilwadi Gulika, Indukantam Kashayam and many other medicines are effective preventers.
• Self-medication or quack medication is dangerous to health. Always consult a qualified doctor.
• Strictly follow the hygiene standards advised by the government based on WHO guidelines.
• Drink lots of boiled and sterilized warm water.
Please feel free to write to email@example.com for more info. We will come up with more updates in the coming days…..